Linux: concerns over systemd [OT]

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Wed Oct 22 09:41:38 UTC 2014

George Herbert wrote:

>> On Oct 21, 2014, at 6:03 PM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
>>
>> GNOME is probably the linchpin.
>>
>> But it's not just RH.  It's Debian, and by extension *buntu, and SuSE, and
>> at least one other major independent parent distro that I can't think of
>> just now...
>>
>> And as far as I know, it's done; SuSE packages already largely don't even
>> include initscripts.
> Enough to make a grown man fork RHEL (or, CentOS).

Which leads me to ask - those of you running server farms - what distros
are popular these days, for server-side operations?  We've been running
Debian like forever (by way of Solaris and redhat) - but this systemd
thing is making me rethink things.  Seems like an awful lot of folks are
now designing for the desktop, and it might be time to migrate to a BSD
or Solaris derivative.  What are others doing?

Miles Fidelman