Linux: concerns over systemd [OT]

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Oct 22 01:03:14 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Ricky Beam" <jfbeam at gmail.com>

> On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 18:29:44 -0400, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com>
> wrote:
> > The thing that I don't understand about systemd is how it managed to
> > get *EVERY SINGLE DISTRIBUTION'S RELEASE MANAGER* on board...
>
> It's spelled "Red Hat". Add in GNOME and debian (et. al.) is backed into a
> corner. Red Hat is soo f'ing big, pretty much every project under the sun
> is going to stop maintaining scripts in favor of systemd.

GNOME is probably the linchpin.

But it's not just RH.  It's Debian, and by extension *buntu, and SuSE, and
at least one other major independent parent distro that I can't think of
just now...

And as far as I know, it's done; SuSE packages already largely don't even
include initscripts.

Cheers,
-- jra