Why is .gov only for US government agencies?

Eric Brunner-Williams brunner at nic-naa.net
Tue Oct 21 02:47:15 UTC 2014

having written the technical portion of winning proposal to ntia for the
.us zone, i differ.

as i recall, having done the research, in the year prior to the ntia's
tender some six people held some 40% of the major metro area subordinate
namespaces. to my chagrin, relieved by a notice of termination days
before my stock in the company vested, the winner adopted a
"orange-black" model, deprecating the namespace's existing hierarchical
registration model for a flat registration model.

the registration process model for .us is dissimilar to the registration
process models of .edu, .mil and .gov, as are the contractors to the
government.

-e