Why is .gov only for US government agencies?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Oct 21 02:23:26 UTC 2014

In message <CAH_OBieCQfjVGTkr2P-h8PzrRSEpS7Jv9CZ-6MAQdBpGVpMWcw at mail.gmail.com>
, shawn wilson writes:
> On Oct 20, 2014 9:33 PM, "Bill Woodcock" <woody at pch.net> wrote:
> >

> > On Oct 21, 2014, at 9:23 AM, Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Breaking tons of things is an interesting opinion of "why not”.
> >
> > Eh.  Off the top of my head, I see two categories of breakage:
> >
> >    1) things that hard-code a list of “real” TLDs, and break when their
> > expectations aren’t met, and
> >
> >    2) things that went ahead and trumped up their own non-canonical TLDs
> > for their own purposes.
> >
> > Neither of those seem like practices worth defending, to me.  Not worth
> > going out of one’s way to break, either, but…
> >

> I'm not defending any practice. Let's just say everything else goes
> smooth.
> How many fed employees are there and what's their average salary? Let's
> assume it takes them 5 minutes to change their email sig. How much would
> that cost?

Over a 10 year transition period, $0.  They will almost certainly make
lots of other changes in that 10 year period.  Change building, change
title, change phone number .....  The list goes on and on.

> There's probably also a legal issue 1here. You can't make it so that
> someone can't communicate with their elected official. No term limits in
> the House so you'd start this and 50 years later, you'd be able to
> complete the project (due to the last congressman being replaced).

There is postal address, phone number, office address, email address.
All of these addresses change over time or were you under some strange
illusion that these were immutable?

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC