Why is .gov only for US government agencies?

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Tue Oct 21 01:30:31 UTC 2014

On Oct 21, 2014, at 9:23 AM, Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net> wrote:

> Breaking tons of things is an interesting opinion of "why not”.

Eh.  Off the top of my head, I see two categories of breakage:

   1) things that hard-code a list of “real” TLDs, and break when their expectations aren’t met, and

   2) things that went ahead and trumped up their own non-canonical TLDs for their own purposes.

Neither of those seem like practices worth defending, to me.  Not worth going out of one’s way to break, either, but…

And in the latter case, like “alternate roots,” that’s not an argument against creating more TLDs…  They’ve already been created.  It’s an argument against doing so in an uncoordinated manner, which is the source of the breakage.

                                -Bill