ISP Shaping Hardware

Tony Wicks tony at wicks.co.nz
Mon Oct 20 20:16:16 UTC 2014

>Hey all,
>
>Just wondering what/if people are using any shaping hardware/appliances
>these days, and if so, what.
>
>I have a client which has thousands of customers on Satellite and needs to
>restrict some users who are doing a lot.
>
>So I wanted to see what the current popular equipment out there is.

I get pretty good results out of Fortinet Fortigate firewalls
(100D/800C/1500D). I use them for both web filtering and P2P rate control.
They also do WAN optimisation and some caching but I have not used that.
They scale up to 20+gig (FG3700D). When looking at the scaling you need to
use the IPS throughput rating if you are turning on DPI for P2P control.
Cost wise they are pretty good against other DPI boxes.