Why is .gov only for US government agencies?

Stephen Satchell list at satchell.net
Mon Oct 20 14:52:13 UTC 2014

On 10/20/2014 07:20 AM, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 05:58:01 -0400, shawn wilson said:
>
>> Bad idea. I'm betting we'd find half of gov web sites down due to not being
>> able to reboot and issues in old coldfusion and IIS and the like (and
>> needing to fix static links and testing etc).
>
> You say that like it's a bad thing....

It's a dollar thing -- show me a substantial return on the investment
and I'll back it all the way.  Notice that nowhere in the litany do the
terms "LAMP" or "Linux" show up.

Adobe and Microsoft would *love* the increased revenue from updates that
would have to be applied to all those old servers.  And what about those
sites that were made using Front Page?  Talk about a nightmare.  A
costly one.

"A billion here, a billion there, soon you are talking about real
money."  -- misattributed to the late Senator Everett Dirkson
(1896-1969, R-Illinois 1951-69)