Why is .gov only for US government agencies?

shawn wilson ag4ve.us at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 14:45:44 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 10:20 AM,  <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 05:58:01 -0400, shawn wilson said:
>
>> Bad idea. I'm betting we'd find half of gov web sites down due to not being
>> able to reboot and issues in old coldfusion and IIS and the like (and
>> needing to fix static links and testing etc).
>
> You say that like it's a bad thing....

Well yeah, there's tons of possible bad here.
1. Some contractor would get millions over a few years for doing this
2. Spending time to maintain old code that no one cares about just to
make stuff work is kinda annoying (both for those maintaining the code
and #1)
3. I don't want to see the report on how many Allaire ColdFusion with
NT 3.5 .gov sites are out there

.... any other reasons not to do this? Maybe, but here's the real
question - why in the hell would we want to do this?