Why is .gov only for US government agencies?

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Sun Oct 19 16:51:12 UTC 2014

On Oct 19, 2014, at 9:35 AM, Rubens Kuhl <rubensk at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Wondering if some of the long-time list members
>> can shed some light on the question--why is the
>> .gov top level domain only for use by US
>> government agencies?

RFC 1591.

>> Where do other world
>> powers put their government agency domains?

Under their ccTLDs.

> Note that .mil is also restricted to US DoD,

Yes.  See RFC 1591.

> and that although .com is not
> restricted to US citizens and companies, it is under contract with US DoC.
> The only legacy gTLDs that are not in US control of some sort are .net and
> .org.

No. NET is under essentially the same contractual agreement as .COM (specifically, Cooperative Agreement NCR-9218742). By the terms of Amendment 24 of that CA, ORG was removed from the CA when that registry moved to PIR (in 2002 I believe).

Regards,
-drc