Major California Faults Ready To Rupture | IFLScience

Eliot Lear lear at cisco.com
Sun Oct 19 09:03:49 UTC 2014

On 10/19/14, 9:45 AM, George Herbert wrote:
> Loma Prieta, very little; the UCSC line was a non-redundant T1 from San Jose BARRNET, and the other leaf nodes off that were down.  As I recall the San Jose / SF to LA links were all golden.
>
> Phone service to Santa Cruz was down, then spotty, then up over the course of a day, but every line was jammed with people checking in so connect rates sucked.  The UCSC point to point T1 had to be manually repaired I think.  The telco lines had alternate routes for calls and made it work, in a bit.

This was my recollection as well.  Many corporate PBXes failed, and as
it happened, for some reason, the mobile towers functioned with excess
capacity, to the point where I had a line coming out of my car.  Best
form of communication into and out of the region during the crisis was
the Internet.  No surprise.  That's what it was designed for.

Eliot