Major California Faults Ready To Rupture | IFLScience

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 07:45:50 UTC 2014

Loma Prieta, very little; the UCSC line was a non-redundant T1 from San Jose BARRNET, and the other leaf nodes off that were down.  As I recall the San Jose / SF to LA links were all golden.

Phone service to Santa Cruz was down, then spotty, then up over the course of a day, but every line was jammed with people checking in so connect rates sucked.  The UCSC point to point T1 had to be manually repaired I think.  The telco lines had alternate routes for calls and made it work, in a bit.

Northridge a few years later more or less flattened a C&W center just about at ground zero.  CRL's pager-happy 24x7 MUD customer in Atlanta woke me up a minute later, and our lines through LA (and many others' lines) were down for a while.  Dynamic routing was a little less dynamic then; I don't know what others did in great detail.

CIX lists buzzed etc.  I think that predates nanog as a list by a few months, but memory is fuzzy.

George William Herbert
Sent from my iPhone