Bounce action notifications - NANOG mailing list changes yahoo.com users

Royce Williams royce at techsolvency.com
Fri Oct 10 16:21:54 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 7:31 AM, Steve Atkins <steve at blighty.com> wrote:
> If your domain publishes p=reject it should not have any users
> that participate in mailing lists.

Like many, I was pretty unhappy (and busy) with the unilateral changes
made by Yahoo and AOL.  But this understandable stance may change.
Neither of these domains is known for being heavily saturated with
geeks.  If Gmail started using p=reject, that might shake the tree a
little more.

But other than providing more warning, what would have been a better
way to start eliminating forged senders?  Everything I've read
indicates that both Yahoo and AOL did this with eyes wide open.

Assuming that eliminating forged senders is the end goal, maybe
forcing the issue was the only way to move forward?  What other theory
about their motivation makes sense?

Royce