Bounce action notifications - NANOG mailing list changes yahoo.com users

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Fri Oct 10 14:28:48 UTC 2014

FYI, I migrated to Mailman 2.1.18-1 shortly after Yahoo decided to break
every mailing list on the Internet for no good reason. (It certainly
has done nothing to mitigate the ongoing flow of spam, phishing and
other abuse coming from Yahoo, which continues pretty much as it has
for many years.)

I can't recommend it, and I don't say that to denigrate the work of
the Mailman developers, which has been (as usual) outstanding, even
under duress.  The problems I've encountered are that the changes
in headers are confusing to lot of subscribers and I still see [some]
rejections based on DMARC failures despite using the appropriate settings
(supported by dnspython-1.11.1, which is required for 2.1.18-1 to work).
I suppose I'd describe it in operational practice  as "rickety" or
"unreliable", at best.

Yahoo has inflicted this on themselves by making an abrupt, ill-advised,
unilateral decision without consulting with their peers and considering
the large-scale implications of said decision.  I don't see a good reason
for NANOG's mailing list admins to go through a *lot* of work (including
what will likely be user confusion/questions, if my experience is any
guide) in order to accomodate this.  I think a better approach would
be to recommend that mailing list participants who want to actually
participate should utilize a mail service appropriate for the purpose.

---rsk