Marriott wifi blocking

Robert Webb rwebb at ropeguru.com
Thu Oct 9 19:04:42 UTC 2014

So is the main factor here in all the FCC verbage become that the WiFi
spectrum is NOT a licensed
band and therefore does not fall under the interference regulations
unless they are interfering with
a licensed band?

I think the first sentence below says a lot to that.

The basic premise of all Part 15 unlicensed operation is that
unlicensed devices cannot cause interference to licensed operations
nor are they protected from any interference received.  The
operational parameters for unlicensed operation are set forth in
Section 15.5 of the rules, as follows:
(a)  Persons operating intentional or unintentional radiators shall
not be deemed to have any vested or recognizable right to continued
use of any given frequency by virtue of prior registration or
certification of equipment,
(b)  Operation of an intentional, unintentional, or incidental
radiator is subject to the conditions that no harmful interference is
caused and that interference must be accepted that may be caused by
the operation of an authorized radio station, by another intentional
or unintentional radiator, by industrial, scientific and medical (ISM)
equipment, or by an incidental radiator.
(c)  The operator of a radio frequency device shall be required to
cease operating the device upon notification by a Commission
representative that the device is causing harmful interference.
 Operation shall not resume until the condition causing the harmful
interference has been corrected.

http://transition.fcc.gov/sptf/files/E&UWGFinalReport.doc