IPv6 Default Allocation - What size allocation are you giving out

Daniel Corbe corbe at corbe.net
Thu Oct 9 14:22:29 UTC 2014

Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> writes:

> In message <54366AB9.3040504 at gmail.com>, Paige Thompson writes:
>> makes more sense to hand out /48s imho. theres only a mere 65k /48s per
>> /32 (or something like that), though.
>
> A /32 is the minimum allocation to a ISP.  If you have more customers
> or will have more customers request a bigger block from the RIRs.
>
> Mark

Has anyone successfully gotten a RIR to assign anything bigger than a
/32?  I seem to recall in recent history someone tried to obtain a /31
through ARIN and got smacked down.

Even if you're assigning a /56 to every end user, that's still on the
order of 16 million allocations.  I can't imagine anyone but the truly
behemoth access network operators being able to justify a larger
allocation with a straight face.