IPv6 Default Allocation - What size allocation are you giving out

James R Cutler james.cutler at consultant.com
Thu Oct 9 13:36:33 UTC 2014

On Oct 9, 2014, at 12:07 AM, Faisal Imtiaz <faisal at snappytelecom.net> wrote:

> So, let me ask the question in a different manner...
> What is the wisdom / reasoning behind needing to give a /56 to a Residential customer (vs a /64).

The wisdom/reasoning behind larger allocations is to control the cost of doing business.

Things change.  Customer requirements change.

Arrange your network so that customers can do what they need without configuration costs on your part.

Follow the money.   Then keep it.

James R. Cutler
James.cutler at consultant.com
PGP keys at http://pgp.mit.edu