IPv6 Default Allocation - What size allocation are you giving out

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Oct 9 07:54:07 UTC 2014

On Thu, 9 Oct 2014, Owen DeLong wrote:

> Sadly there are pieces of 3GPP that limit LTE to single /64 already.
> These should, IMHO, be fixed.

DHCPv6-PD is already standardized in 3GPP several years ago, it just
hasn't made it widely into equipment out there yet.

That's why current "best way" to do this is to share the /64 between the
PDP context and the LAN. This of course is quite limiting, but it wouldn't
surprise me if we'll see differentiation here between "mobile Internet"
and regular "handset Internet" subscriptions unfortunately.

I fully support giving all devices whatever they request, stop
differentiating between different kinds of devices, and just charge where
the costs are, ie on packets moved.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se