wifi blocking [was Re: Marriott wifi blocking]

Larry Sheldon larrysheldon at cox.net
Thu Oct 9 07:16:21 UTC 2014

On 10/9/2014 02:03, Owen DeLong wrote:

> On Oct 8, 2014, at 2:11 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

>>> http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/03/technology/fcc-reviews-need-for-rules-to-interrupt-wireless-service.html?_r=0
>>
>>>  From the article: "Among the issues on which the F.C.C. is seeking
>> comment is whether it even has authority over the issue."
>>
>> Also: "The BART system owns the wireless transmitters and receivers
>> that allow for cellphone reception within its network.”
>
> I’m not sure that statement is accurate. However, there is no prohibition against owning a Microcell or other cellular station which is operated by a third party under said third party’s license.
>
>> I'm not entirely clear how that works.
>
> If that were truly the case (and I don’t think it is, given BART statements that “...the cellular providers are basically tenants and are as such subject to…”), I’m pretty sure it would be operated by the cellular carrier under their license as a non-owner of the equipment.

What where the laws and practices in the Olde Days of over-the-air TV
when somebody in a small town installed a translator to repeat
Big-Cities-TV-Station into a small town?

--
The unique Characteristics of System Administrators:

The fact that they are infallible; and,

The fact that they learn from their mistakes.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes