IPv6 Default Allocation - What size allocation are you giving out

jamie rishaw j at arpa.com
Thu Oct 9 05:09:59 UTC 2014

This makes no sense.

I have two /48s routed to my house.

..to my house.

The idea that anyone is giving anything less than a 64 is unreasonable and
will lead to an exponential growth in routing tables.. it's asinine and
very short sighted.

Sure, back in the day, I had a server, a couple desktops and a BRI and wow
who would need more than an ipv4 /28--but let's face reality here--every
thing, every switch, every night bulb, every door, every window, every
skylight, every temperature sensor, every tv, every device that a friend
brings over or even any device that I allow public access to.. every cat,
every dog, every hamster is going to be microchipped and every single unit
is going to need to be accessible.... Hell, I have two ips/one each for
each of my two cat boxes that tell me current status, c'mon.

My TiVos, my game consoles, my cable boxes, my two printers.. all have
their own address.

To think in an unframed context that you know what everyone everywhere will
need is nothing short of naive and is everything elementarily assumptive of
(ahem) The Internet of Things.

The examples I gave are just for my house.. now multiply that times a
small, medium, large, xl, enterprise or global entity and do the math

These arguments and debates make me sad. I suppose it's my own fault for
assuming that everyone in this ML is a forward thinker.
-j

--
jamie rishaw // .com.arpa at j <- reverse it. ish.

"...let's consider this world like a family and care about each other..."
             -Malala Yousafzai