IPv6 Default Allocation - What size allocation are you giving out

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 05:06:24 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 4:45 AM, Faisal Imtiaz <faisal at snappytelecom.net> wrote:
> So, this is more of a 'opinion' / 'feel' (with all due respect) comment, and not something which has a (presently) compelling technical reasoning behind it ?

Think of something like HIPnet
  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-grundemann-homenet-hipnet-00
  http://www.cablelabs.com/the-future-of-home-networking-putting-the-hip-in-hipnet/
with multiple levels of home devices performing routing
(prefix delegation), with multiple networks off of each.
Even a /56 can easily end up being too little for multiple
levels in a residence.  If one believes in the IoT/IoE
hype, everything will have a IPv6 address, and many
of those devices might have multiple internal networks.
So, yes, I assert based on a "feel" that a /48 is the right
choice, because I am hoping to not make the same
mistakes as with IPv4, and under estimate the growth
of the network by the customers, resulting in all
sorts of convoluted workarounds for not having
enough addresses and options to do things right.