IPv6 Default Allocation - What size allocation are you giving out

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Oct 9 05:02:37 UTC 2014

In message <2083423091.131955.1412829918586.JavaMail.zimbra at snappytelecom.net>,
 Faisal Imtiaz writes:
> ======================================
> > >
> > > I am curious as to why you say it is short sighted? what is the technical
> > > or
> > > otherwise any other reasoning for such statement ?
> >
> > 256 is *not* a big number of subnets.  By restricting the number of subnets
>  residences get you restrict what >developers will design for.  Subnets don't
>  need to be scares resource.  ISP's that default to /56 are making them a >sc
> ares resource.
> =======================================
>
> So, this is more of a 'opinion' / 'feel' (with all due respect) comment, and
> not something which has a (presently) compelling technical reasoning behind i
> t ?

There are thousands of examples of things being designed for the
lowest common denominator.  There are thousand of examples of "this
will never be reached" only to have the thing be reached.  Every
time this happens it becomes expensive to correct.  It causes
operational issues for those on the leading edge.

Your home router should support thousands of internal routes and
be able to hand out thousands of prefixes all in a $50 box.  Memory
is cheap.  It doesn't require lots of cpu to support something like
a house even with thousands of subnets.

If /56 becomes the norm the boxes will end up being designed for
256 subnets rather than the thousands it should be designed for
thousands the hardware is capable of supporting.

This unfortunately is human nature.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org