IPv6 Default Allocation - What size allocation are you giving out

Peter Rocca rocca at start.ca
Thu Oct 9 04:59:14 UTC 2014

To paraphrase a post on this list a while ago (my apologies for lack of reference).

There are two kinds of waste:
 - the first kind of waste is providing 'too many' subnets for someone;
 - the second kind of waste is leaving the space unallocated forever.

If we choose the first option and somehow burn through the 35 trillion /48's out of the first /3 we're drawing from (ie, almost 5000 /48's for every person on the planet) then we can always reconsider how to be more conservative with the remaining 88% of unallocated IPv6 space.