IPv6 Default Allocation - What size allocation are you giving out

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Oct 9 01:31:15 UTC 2014

Give them a /48.  This is IPv6 not IPv4.  Take the IPv4 glasses off
and put on the IPv6 glasses.  Stop constraining your customers
because you feel that it is a waste.  It is not a waste!!!!  It
will also reduce the number of exceptions you need to process and
make over all administration easier.

As for only two subnets, I expect lots of equipment to request
prefixes in the future not just traditional routers.  It will have
descrete internal components which communicate using IPv6 and those
components need to talk to each other and the world.  In a IPv4
world they would be NAT'd.  In a IPv6 world the router requests a
prefix.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC