Marriott wifi blocking

Clay Fiske clay at bloomcounty.org
Mon Oct 6 22:03:06 UTC 2014

On Oct 6, 2014, at 1:16 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> Hi Clay,
>
> It isn't that simple. Marriott offended against multiple laws and
> regulations in multiple jurisdictions.
>
> The FCC's concern is use of the spectrum. This they addressed --
> intentionally preventing others' use of the spectrum gets you spanked.

Hi Bill,

Right. So I think I was approaching it a different way, and I probably wasn’t clear enough about that. My question wasn’t meant to justify the response (deliberately booting people from non-Marriott SSIDs), it was about whether they had any legitimate right to claim that other wifi networks were impacting their own network’s performance, specifically based on the FCC’s position that a new transmitter should not disrupt existing operations. I was not in any way intending to say that their -response- was legitimate.

Anyway, I think the departed horse has been suitably tenderized. Apologies for not being clearer, nothing to see here, etc.

Thanks,

-c