Marriott wifi blocking

John Schiel jschiel at flowtools.net
Mon Oct 6 15:04:55 UTC 2014

On 10/03/2014 04:26 PM, Hugo Slabbert wrote:
> On Fri 2014-Oct-03 16:01:21 -0600, John Schiel <jschiel at flowtools.net>
> wrote:

>>> I can't imagine that any 'AP-squashing' packets are ever authorized,
>>> outside of a lab. The wireless spectrum is shared by all, regardless of
>>> physical locality. Because it's your building doesn't mean you own the
>>> spectrum.
>>
>> +1
>>

>>> My reading of this is that these features are illegal, period. Rogue AP
>>> detection is one thing, and disabling them via network or
>>> "administrative" (ie. eject the guest) means would be fine, but
>>> interfering with the wireless is not acceptable per the FCC
>>> regulations.
>>>
>>> Seems like common sense to me. If the FCC considers this
>>> 'interference',
>>> which it apparently does, then devices MUST NOT intentionally
>>> interfere.
>>
>> I would expect interfering for defensive purposes **only** would be
>> acceptable.
>
> What constitutes "defensive purposes"?

Whoa, lots of replies this weekend.

I haven't made my way through all of them but the point was to try and
protect your network from an offensive device. It seems though, if you
are law abiding and follow the FCC rules, you **cannot** protect
yourself very well using the wireless spectrum. Need to do some more
reading I guess.

--John