Marriott wifi blocking

Alexander Harrowell a.harrowell at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 10:42:52 UTC 2014

On Sat, Oct 4, 2014 at 4:32 AM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> Hugo, I still don't think that you have quite made it to the distinction that we are looking for here.
>
> In the case of the hotel, we are talking about an access point that connects via 4G to a cellular carrier. An access point that attempts to create its own network for the subscribers devices. A network disjoint from the network provided by the hotel or its contractor.

To put it another way, if you plugged a USB cable into the 4G device
and the other end into a laptop, and a hotel manager appeared with a
big pair of scissors and cut through it, in an effort to make you buy
WLAN service from the hotel, nobody would think this either legal or
reasonable. Why should it be more acceptable because you used radio?
What about IrDA, if you're a technical masochist?