Marriott wifi blocking

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 23:31:46 UTC 2014

On Sun, Oct 5, 2014 at 6:13 PM, Brett Frankenberger <rbf+nanog at panix.com> wrote:
> For example, you've asserted that if I've been using "ABCD" as my SSID
> for two years, and then I move, and my new neighbor is already using
> that, that I have to change.  But that if, instead of duplicating my
[snip]

Actually...  I would suggest that it is not entirely clear if you have
to change or not.   Your conflicting SSID in no way impedes the use of
the spectrum, one of you just has to recode your SSID;  this is
different from setting up a WIPS Rogue AP containment feature to
completely block an AP from ever being used.     If your SSID happens
to conflict with your neighbor's SSID by coincidence, and the SSID is
a common name such as Linksys,  then this conflict alone probably does
not qualify as willful or malicious interference.

As the spectrum is unlicensed, neither of you is a licensed station, and
neither of you has "priority";  neither of your stations is a primary
or secondary user.    Both of your stations has to accept the
unintended interference in the unlicensed frequencies;   it is
essentially up to the two of you to either take it upon yourself to
change your own SSID, or to negotiate with your neighbor.

On the other hand, if you chose a SSID for your AP of "STARBUCKS" and
you set this up  in proximity to a Starbucks location or selected
"[YOURNEIGHBORSCOMPANYNAME]" as your SSID;  it would seem to be more
evident   that any interference  that was occuring to their wireless
station operation was willful  and possibly a malicious attempt to
compromise client security.

--
-JH