Marriott wifi blocking

Brandon Ross bross at pobox.com
Sat Oct 4 19:39:37 UTC 2014

On Sat, 4 Oct 2014, Michael Thomas wrote:

> The problem is that there's really no such thing as a "copycat" if the
> client doesn't have the means of authenticating the destination. If
> that's really the requirement, people should start bitching to ieee to
> get destination auth on ap's instead of blatantly asserting that
> somebody owns a particular ssid because, well, because.

In the enterprise environment that there's been some insistence from folks
on this list is a legitimate place to block "rogue" APs, what makes those
SSIDs, "yours"?  Just because they were used first by the enterprise?
That doesn't seem to hold water in an unlicensed environment to me at all.

If the Marriott can't do this, I don't think anyone can, legally.

Now, granted, if I'm doing it with the intent to disrupt the corporate
network or steal data, there's certainly other laws to deal with that, but
I don't think even that is justification for spoofed deauth.

--
Brandon Ross                                      Yahoo & AIM:  BrandonNRoss
+1-404-635-6667                                                ICQ:  2269442