Marriott wifi blocking

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Sat Oct 4 19:15:36 UTC 2014

On 10/04/2014 11:47 AM, Jay Ashworth wrote:

> A copycat AP is unquestionably hostile, and likely interfering with users,
> but I'm unconvinced that the hostility triggers a privilege to attack it
> under part 15 rules. In addition to not being allowed to interfere, we also
> have:
> You're not attacking it, per se; you are defensively disconnecting from
> it *users who are part of your own network*; these are endpoints *you are
> administratively allowed to exert control over*, from my viewpoint.

The problem is that there's really no such thing as a "copycat" if the
client doesn't
have the means of authenticating the destination. If that's really the
requirement, people
should start bitching to ieee to get destination auth on ap's instead of
blatantly asserting
that somebody owns a particular ssid because, well, because.

Mike