Marriott wifi blocking

SML sml at lordsargon.com
Sat Oct 4 17:48:11 UTC 2014

On 4 Oct 2014, at 12:35, Michael Thomas wrote:

> On 10/04/2014 10:23 AM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> So I work in a small office in a building that has many "enterprise"
> wifi's I can see
> whether I like it or not. What if one of them decided that our wifi
> was "rogue" and
> started trying to stamp it out?

It happens daily. We have 22 offices around the world, each in downtown
towers. We use Cisco WLCs, and those controllers see constant deauth
frames coming from people above us, below us, and from the four sides
around us. It is a real battle. The only thing to do is use lots of APs
in the office so as to keep the power levels down.

In a couple of cases our office managers personally visited the offices
of people above, below, and across from us and discussed the problem. It
helped.

> Mike, this seems like it might be a universally bad idea...

It isn't a bad idea, as we need to protect our corporate networks. But
there are unintended consequences, to be sure.