Marriott wifi blocking

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Sat Oct 4 04:34:53 UTC 2014

On 10/3/14, 8:04 PM, Hugo Slabbert wrote:

> I'm not clear on whether it runs afoul of FCC regs as it's not RF
> interference directly but rather an (ab)use of higher layer control
> mechanisms operating on that spectrum, but it probably does run afoul of
> most "thou shalt not harm other networks" legislation like the
> California example.

You can't get to layer 2 or layer 3 without layer 1.  The abuse of
higher layer control protocols requires an RF transmitter within the
radio spectrum, hence it is interference.  It is a much more selectively
targeted type of interference than broadband noise, but it's very
obviously interference over radio frequencies by any definition.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net