Marriott wifi blocking

Wayne E Bouchard web at typo.org
Fri Oct 3 23:12:28 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 03, 2014 at 02:23:46PM -0700, Keenan Tims wrote:
> > The question here is what is authorized and what is not.  Was this to protect their network from rogues, or protect revenue from captive customers.
>
> I can't imagine that any 'AP-squashing' packets are ever authorized,
> outside of a lab. The wireless spectrum is shared by all, regardless of
> physical locality. Because it's your building doesn't mean you own the
> spectrum.

I think that depends on the terms of your lease agreement. Could not
a hotel or conference center operate reserve the right to employ
active devices to disable any unauthorized wireless systems? Perhaps
because they want to charge to provide that service, because they
don't want errant signals leaking from their building, a rogue device
could be considered an intruder and represent a risk to the network,
or because they don't want someone setting up a system that would
interfere with their wireless gear and take down other clients who are
on premesis...

Would not such an active device be quite appropriate there?

-Wayne

---
Wayne Bouchard
web at typo.org