Marriott wifi blocking

Keenan Tims ktims at stargate.ca
Fri Oct 3 21:23:46 UTC 2014

> The question here is what is authorized and what is not.  Was this to protect their network from rogues, or protect revenue from captive customers.

I can't imagine that any 'AP-squashing' packets are ever authorized,
outside of a lab. The wireless spectrum is shared by all, regardless of
physical locality. Because it's your building doesn't mean you own the
spectrum.

My reading of this is that these features are illegal, period. Rogue AP
detection is one thing, and disabling them via network or
"administrative" (ie. eject the guest) means would be fine, but
interfering with the wireless is not acceptable per the FCC regulations.

Seems like common sense to me. If the FCC considers this 'interference',
which it apparently does, then devices MUST NOT intentionally interfere.