Marriott wifi blocking

Godmere, Shane Shane.Godmere at SHOPKO.COM
Fri Oct 3 20:20:45 UTC 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: NANOG [mailto:nanog-bounces at nanog.org] On Behalf Of David Hubbard
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2014 3:07 PM
To: NANOG
Subject: Marriott wifi blocking

Saw this article:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/03/travel/marriott-fcc-wi-fi-fine/

The interesting part:

'A federal investigation of the Gaylord Opryland Resort and Convention Center in Nashville found that Marriott employees had used "containment features of a Wi-Fi monitoring system"
at the hotel to prevent people from accessing their own personal Wi-Fi networks.'

I'm aware of how the illegal wifi blocking devices work, but any idea what legal hardware they were using to effectively keep their own wifi available but render everyone else's inaccessible?

David
-------
David,

All major WiFi players have some seek-and-destroy function to prevent rogues on/near their network.  It is the responsibly of the IT folks to determine how aggressive these settings are, and to what needs deauth sent to clients.  These can be very effective in dropping sessions from clients on unauthorized systems.

The question here is what is authorized and what is not.  Was this to protect their network from rogues, or protect revenue from captive customers.

--
Opinions expressed in this email are mine and not that of my employer.
Shane Allan Godmere