large BCP38 compliance testing

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Oct 3 19:03:45 UTC 2014

On Fri, 3 Oct 2014, Rich Kulawiec wrote:

> The same thing applies here: persistent, systemic sources of large-scale
> abuse via BCP-38 noncompliance are either:
>
> 	1. Being operated by clueless, negligent, incompetent people
> or
> 	2. Being operated by deliberately abusive people
>
> There are no other possibilities.  (Note: "persistent, systemic".
> Transient, isolated problems happen to everyone and are not what I'm
> talking about here.)
>
> It's difficult to know which of those two are true via external
> observation, but it's not *necessary* to know: the appropriate remedial
> action remains the same in either case: stop giving them the means.

So how do we detect these and make sure they feel pain for not doing the
right thing. The CIDR report hasn't incurred pain as far as I know, so
public shaming doesn't seem to work even in cases where we can detect
people incurring hurt on others. So how do we work this? It obviously
hasn't worked so far, what do we change to make this work?

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se