cogent update suppression, and routing loops

Nick Olsen nick at flhsi.com
Fri Oct 3 16:09:18 UTC 2014

I've had the exact same thing happen.

 Recently, I removed a bunch of /24's that were member of a larger /20. We
use to advertise the /24's to certain carriers for traffic engineering. I
saw the exact same issue you're describing.

 I chocked it up to Slow BGP in their core. For instance, I removed the
route from my session with them in Orlando. It would get removed from
Orlando, But still exist in Jacksonville. And basically route loop coming
in from the north. It'd land in JAX, And get forwarded to MCO. Which would
then forward it back to JAX. 20-30 seconds later, it would get removed from
JAX, and I'd see the same behavior between JAX and ATL. It took a 4-5
minutes in my experience for the route to finally leave the Cogent
network.

 I lessened the blow by making Cogent the first peer I'd remove the /24
from. Leaving the other /24's out there via the other carriers. So only
those that chose cogent as the most direct route felt the unintentional
blackhole. Other carriers removed almost instantly as expected.

 Nick Olsen
Network Operations  (855) FLSPEED  x106