large BCP38 compliance testing

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at arbor.net
Thu Oct 2 18:34:14 UTC 2014

On Oct 3, 2014, at 1:24 AM, Brian Rak <brak at gameservers.com> wrote:

> What about providers who knowingly allow IP spoofing, because it's profitable?

Ultimately, the only way to even possibly try to get a handle on this facet of the problem may be via lawsuits; in many jurisdictions, the burden of proof is lower for the plaintiffs in a civil case than it is for prosecutors in criminal cases.

The questions of evidence, standing, jurisdiction, provable damages, et. al. then come into play . . . and when those organizations are located in areas where the rule of law isn't particularly strong, it complicates matters further.  There are precedents for extraterritorial legal suits, but unless there are assets that can be seized in the event of a verdict for the plaintiff, it's unclear how much actual impact they would have.

[Note:  IANAL, nor do I play one on television.  All of the above is uninformed speculation and may be completely wrong.]

                   Equo ne credite, Teucri.

    		   	  -- Laocoön