cogent update suppression, and routing loops

ryanL ryan.landry at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 16:03:15 UTC 2014

hi. relatively new cogent customer. is what i've stated in my subject line
kinda standard fare with them?

i've discovered that when i advertise a /24 from inside a larger /22 to XO,
(who peers with cogent), and then pull the /24 some time later, that cogent
holds onto the /24 and then bounces packets around in their network a bunch
of times for upwards of 8-10 minutes until they finally yank it. this
effectively blackholes traffic to my /24 for anyone that is using a path
thru cogent.

example: http://ryry.foursquare.com/image/0e0K1K0t0W2M

it's been a bit of a frustrating experience talking to their noc to
demonstrate it, but i'm able to duplicate it on demand. even pushing routes
using their communities to offload the circuit takes forever to propagate
even on their own looking-glasses.

thx

ryan