Low-numbered ASes being hijacked? [Re: BGP Update Report]

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Sun Nov 30 22:19:06 UTC 2014

From: Jason Bothe <jason at rice.edu>

I’m not new here but the thread caught my eye, as I am one of
the lower ASs being mentioned.  I guess there isn’t really
anything one can do to prevent these things other than listening
to route servers, etc.  I guess it’s all on what the upstream
decides to allow-in and re-advertise.

First, obviously, set BGP filters to allow only what you expect
to send upstream.

Then, look at what your routers are advertising to your upstreams
using 'sho bgp advertised routes' type commands to make sure it's
exactly what you're expecting to send.

Last, look on route servers at various places around the internet
to make sure everything is advertised to expectations .  You can
find a lot here: http://www.traceroute.org/#Route%20Servers

Also, of course, all of this can be done on a regular basis using
programs instead of being done manually.

scott