Phasing out of telco TDM Backbones (was: Phasing out of copper)

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Nov 30 05:09:40 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Måns Nilsson" <mansaxel at besserwisser.org>

> Maintaining copper plant is expensive. It will be retired as soon as
> buy-in on FTTH is high enough. Telia Sonera is doing it in Sweden,
> so the trend is global. (OTOH, in Sweden, young people moving out from
> their parents, if they can find somewhere to rent, usually only get a
> fixed connection for Internet access. Telephony is all mobile.)

Absolutely: maintaining analog copper last-mile is expensive.

But let us not conflate being ok with telcos replacing analog copper last-mile
with being ok with telcos replacing PCM with VoIP, especially in trunking
applications, and *especially* using non-dedicated backbones, as these are the
directions the RBOCs appear to be going in, and those are much less acceptable
ideas than the former.

Cheers,
-- jra