Buying IP Bandwidth Across a Peering Exchange

Faisal Imtiaz faisal at snappytelecom.net
Tue Nov 25 21:29:17 UTC 2014

Hi Colton,

The primary challenge in buying IP Transit across a Peering Exchange is not so much of a technical configuration challenge, but rather a 'how do we keep track of how much IP Transit you are using' ..a billing challenge.

and additionally, one is making the assumption that there is capacity to do so on the IP Transit Providers Peering Port Connection.

While it is possible to deal with such issue, but you need someone willing and able to do so, on the other side.

------------------------
> I think the way most providers would do this would be to get a rack and
> power with Equinix. Pay a cross connect fee from the wave provider to our
> rack. Pay for an exchange port (which includes a cross connect to the
> exchange) for the 5GBPS of traffic going to Netflix, Google, etc. And then
> pay for yet another cross connect going to HE.net's cage to get pure IP
> from them.
-------------------------

Yes, you are right, this is the traditional way of doing so, and yes, it can get expensive.. For this exact reason, folks such as us and others who are willing to provide access via their existing resources at different facilities.

We are facilitating flexible connectivity needs of folks who are running remote (from major metro areas) such as yours, in Miami, Atlanta, and I know others who are doing so in Equinox Chicago, one in Texas and a couple of the West Coast.

Feel free to ping me off list if you are interested in additional details.

Regards

Faisal Imtiaz
Snappy Internet & Telecom
7266 SW 48 Street
Miami, FL 33155
Tel: 305 663 5518 x 232

Help-desk: (305)663-5518 Option 2 or Email: Support at Snappytelecom.net