Buying IP Bandwidth Across a Peering Exchange

Bob Evans bob at FiberInternetCenter.com
Tue Nov 25 21:03:16 UTC 2014

I agree with Bill...going it on the cheap is risky. DOn't consider it for
primary. It may be good for backup. I have sold small amounts of transit
to non-ISP companies on exchanges (100-200 meg). It's a good extra backup
for ISPs, if you setup your local pref, MED and then prepend your AS an
extra time or two to the prefixes you transmit. Then if you ever need to
use it, it's sitting there waiting to send and receive traffic. I let ISPs
customers do that with us for real low cost backup fees.
Bob Evans