A case against vendor-locking optical modules

Richard Hesse richard.hesse at weebly.com
Tue Nov 25 18:59:02 UTC 2014

I've found the best method of dealing with vendors like this is to treat
them the same way they treat you. If they won't listen to technical
arguments and act like stubborn children, then I act the same way. Threaten
to take your ball and go home. Or buy everything used or from grey market
vendors. It works pretty well. The vendor/client relationship is a two-way
street, and they should be reminded of that.

Especially when dealing with commodity whitebox switch vendors like
Arista...who can easily be replaced with another whitebox switch vendor and
$networkOS.

-richard