determine relationship between the operators based on import and export statements in aut-num object?

William Waites ww at styx.org
Tue Nov 25 16:58:05 UTC 2014

On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 17:36:47 +0200, Martin T <m4rtntns at gmail.com> said:

    > Last but not least, maybe there is altogether a more reliable
    > way to understand the relationship between the operators than
    > aut-num objects(often not updated) in RIR database?

The first thing to do is look and see if the policy of, e.g. AS65133
is consistent with what you see there. I suspect you'll find a lot of
mismatches but I don't know if that has been studied systematically,
but it should be simple to do.

Next, much more data intensive, is trawl through the route views data
and see to what extent the actual updates seen are consistent with the
RIR objects, and also see what (topological, not financial as Valdis
points out) relationships they imply that are not present in the RIR
database.

-w