determine relationship between the operators based on import and export statements in aut-num object?

Martin T m4rtntns at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 15:36:47 UTC 2014

Hi,

bit weird question, but is it possible to determine
relationship(Internet transit, settlement-free peering, etc) between
the operators based on import and export statements in aut-num object?
Often aut-num objects in RIR database contain the remarks which
describe such relationships. However, for example here I have
following import and export attributes from an aut-num object of an
ISP:

import:         from AS65133 action pref=100; accept ANY
import:         from AS65798 accept AS65798
import:         from AS65084 accept AS65084
import:         from AS65485 action pref=100; accept ANY
import:         from AS65751 accept AS65751
import:         from AS65059 action pref=100; accept ANY
import:         from AS65128 accept AS65128
export:         to AS65133 announce AS-SET
export:         to AS65798 announce ANY
export:         to AS65084 announce ANY
export:         to AS65485 announce AS-SET
export:         to AS65751 announce ANY
export:         to AS650835 announce AS-SET
export:         to AS65128 announce ANY

Am I correct that it is safe to say that probably AS65133, AS65485 and
AS65059 are the uplink providers and AS65798, AS65084, AS65751 and
AS65128 are the customers of this ISP? Last but not least, maybe there
is altogether a more reliable way to understand the relationship
between the operators than aut-num objects(often not updated) in RIR
database?

thanks,
Martin