eBGP Graceful-Restart and GR Helper Mode with external networks.

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Nov 24 20:31:21 UTC 2014

On Monday, November 24, 2014 10:08:11 PM Chris Costa wrote:

> Is there a BCOP (or substantiated opinion) for
> negotiating eBGP Graceful-Restart and Graceful-Restart
> Helper-Mode with external networks? Implementation looks
> varied across a few larger transit providers, and in
> some cases implemented inconsistently within the same
> provider.  Seeing most IX peers with GR disabled,
> although I don't see they've disabled GR Helper Mode.
> Apparently, Junos (12.3, at least) doesn't offer
> disabling GR Helper Mode for BGP.

We generally disable GR on eBGP sessions because different
peers (be they customers, upstreams or peers) have different
hardware/software that could make this tricky.

Internally, we run NSR on boxes with dual control planes.
This is recent, as several of your garden-variety (and
exotic) service provider network protocols and services are
now reasonably supported that it makes sense to migrate from
GR to NSR.

We don't generally run GR on boxes with single control
planes, as there could be operational impact when BFD is
involved under some circumstances. That said, GR Helper mode
tends to always be available even when GR is not enabled.

Mark.