DDOS, IDS, RTBH, and Rate limiting

Robert Duffy rob at esecuredata.com
Fri Nov 21 03:00:49 UTC 2014

I've been using NTOP for couple of years.  I'm mostly looking for something
that can quickly detect DDoS attacks in a datacenter environment.  Thanks
for the suggestions.  I"ll check them out.

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 6:50 PM, Tim Jackson <jackson.tim at gmail.com> wrote:

> I highly recommend pmacct and it's in-memory tables. Lightweight, easy to
> query and super fast.
>
> You can also easily run multiple aggregates of traffic to find what you are
> interested in, tag common interface types to easily filter traffic..
>
> Or you can use pmacct to insert this into whatever database you want, AMQP
> or MongoDB..
>
> My current favorite is using an IMT table for DoS detection and another for
> aggregates for interesting traffic types and querying this every X minutes
> and inserting it into ElasticSearch. Kibana makes the most powerful netflow
> dashboard ever.
>
> --
> Tim
> On Nov 20, 2014 6:39 PM, "Roland Dobbins" <rdobbins at arbor.net> wrote:
>

> > On 21 Nov 2014, at 9:19, Robert Duffy wrote:
> >
> >  What open-source NetFlow analysis tools would you recommend for quickly
> >> detecting a DDoS attack?
> >>

> > I generally recommend that folks get started with something like
> > nfdump/nfsen or ntop.  There are other, more sophisticated tools out
> there,
> > but these allow one to get up and running quickly, and to gain valuable
> > operational experience with which to evaluate more sophisticated tools,
> if
> > they're needed.

> > Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at arbor.net>

--
Regards,
Rob

addressed, and may contain confidential, personal and or privileged
information. Please contact the sender immediately if you are not the
intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or
take action relying on the contents herein. Any communication received in
error, or subsequent reply, should be deleted or destroyed.