Level3 rwhois broken

Siegel, David David.Siegel at Level3.com
Thu Nov 20 23:42:27 UTC 2014

We decommissioned our rwhois server, but apparently we didn't get DNS cleaned up (which we'll do in the near future).

The closest thing we have to that is our whois server rr.level3.net, or if that doesn't quite meet your needs, you can contact our security department at abuse at level3.net.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: NANOG [mailto:nanog-bounces at nanog.org] On Behalf Of Jeff Walter
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2014 2:50 PM
To: Suresh Ramasubramanian
Cc: nanog at nanog.org
Subject: Re: Level3 rwhois broken

It's nice to see someone is using RWHOIS. Back when I wrote the RWHOIS daemon for HE I spoke with Mark Kosters (one of the authors of RFC 2167). I wish I still had the emails because at the time he was shocked anyone would create software for something that no one really uses. I seem to recall him calling it a waste of time ;-)

That said... I'm seeing Level 3's RWHOIS down as well. And to be honest, they're probably not monitoring it.