Outbound traffic on a circuit?

Naslund, Steve SNaslund at medline.com
Wed Nov 19 22:23:32 UTC 2014

The times I have seen this type of language they are usually aimed at residential type service where they are trying to prevent you from hosting content.  This is not necessarily unfair depending on the pricing because most residential cost models include a lot of assumptions that the circuit will be idle most of the time.  A business class model that punishes you over 50% is pretty aggregious if they are charging business class prices.

The key language is 50% OUTBOUND.  That implies that they don’t care how much you have inbound.  That model allows a web surfer download all he wants up to circuit capacity but makes it painful for you to host
Content that you are serving.

Are you sure this circuit is correct for server hosting (I'm assuming that’s what you would be doing in a datacenter)?  This contract sounds more residential user to me.  If this unnamed provider is a cable provider, you need to make sure you are looking at "business class" service if you are hosting anything significant.

Steven Naslund
Chicago IL