Overlay as a link

Tony Tauber ttauber at 1-4-5.net
Wed Nov 19 17:42:54 UTC 2014

Hi Glen,

Perhaps I'm stating the obvious or something that's out of scope for what
you have in mind.

However, one property where they differ is that a physical link has a
physical capacity for carrying traffic (i.e., bandwidth).
A virtual interface inherits it's capacity from the physical link(s) that
underlie it.  Some may be locally attached but most will be indirect.

Hence it's not possible to know how near it is to its limits.

Again, maybe outside what you're thinking about, but you asked "what can
possibly be the difference".

Cheers,
Tony